Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Review

Well I tried to get this done in the last few days of 2011, but as usual I'm a little late, but I thought I'd post a review on my reflections on the music in the year that was. It was a pretty good year for music, in my opinion. Sure Gotye and Kimbra were friggen everywhere and inescapable for a few months but apart from that there were a few that stood out to me. I've had a think about it and have decided to share my list of bests and worsts of 2011:

1) Best gig of 2011:
This was a hard one, especially because I mostly frequented festivals this year rather than individual gigs. I should title it, favourite live performance. In that case, I easily choose Darwin Deez hilariously entertaining performance spectacular seen at 2011's Groovin the Moo. It involved fantastic music, side splitting stand up comedy and some of the most outrageously daggy choreography I've ever seen. Amazing live! Cant wait to see them again!
This YouTube footage is taken from Parklife, I attached the Groovin the Moo footage to the Festival Review last year but the audio sucked, this is loads better.



2) Favourite Album of 2011:
This one was easy for me, after 2 listens though I completely fell in love with Josh Pyke's 2011 release Only Sparrows. It was a little more upbeat than his previous album Chimney's Afire and his alluring collaboration with Little Birdy's Katy Steel to create Punch in the Heart. It's an emotive, romantic, and hauntingly beautiful collection of songs by one of my favourite Aussie artists.

4) Favourite song of 2011:
Ummmm...hmmm eeny meeny miney moe. I really loved Hiccups by Jinja Safari and Zimbabwe by New Navy. Oh and I was obsessed with Ball Park Music's All I Wanted Was You. But I guess if I think about the song I played most often it was probably Friendly Fires Hawaiian Air, makes me think of holidays, yep, love that song, but this clip does show the flight from hell! Skip the Ad.



5) Most annoying song of 2011:
It doesn't appear as though The Black Eyed Peas released any music this year so that meant I couldn't decide between Rebecca Black's Friday and Luke Million's Arnold. Argh just thinking about them now, I'm getting annoyed!! I must move on!

6) Favourite "must sing loudly no matter what" song of 2011:
Again I don't seem to be very good at just picking one for each of these categories, but as it's my blog, I'm changing the rules!! So 2 songs make this list, Gotye's Better and Matt Corby's Brother. These songs have both become dangerously close to falling into the next category but for now, I'm happy to belt them out at the top of my lungs not caring who hears because I'm quite certain I'm adding to the quality of these tracks!



7) Song I used to really like until it was completely flogged to within an inch of its life:
Sorry Kimbra and Gotye, sure you won a million Aria's but now you're just some people that I used to know! Sure I paid iTunes and put it on my iPhone but that was before I realised I was going to be bombarded by the music video and song wherever I went. On one specific day I saw the clip and heard the song 3 times...and I wasn't even sitting by the radio all day, every time I jumped in the car it was there! It was a great track but I wont lie, I'm glad Triple J has decided to add a few new songs to their rotation.

Anyway that's my little look at the year that was. I had intended to make it a short concise list of bits and pieces but as you know, if you know me, being clear and concise is not something I'm known for.
Let me know your Best and Worst of 2011...or don't...whatevs.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment