Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fleet Foxes - The Opera House 3/1/2012


First day back at work was a long one especially because I knew I was heading into the city to see Fleet Foxes that night yet we almost missed them. Dinner nearby and drinks at the Opera Bar watching the sun set behind the harbour was a great way to start the night off and as it hit 8pm I figured we should probably head up. I wasn't sure of the the support act but we had good seats so we went to check it out. There was no support act, as we arrived at our entry door I could hear Fleet Foxes, turned out we only missed 1 song luckily enough.

Right from the get go they were amazing with their lofty harmonies and heart breaking lullabies, these guys really don't need any other instruments apart from their beautiful folk voices. They are also stupidly polite and quite hilarious guys, I remember when I saw them play the Metro a few years ago I was in tears laughing when lead singer Robin Pecknold got awkwardly self conscious when someone in the audience laughed at something, sure it doesn't sound funny, but it was. This time was no different, cracking jokes about New Years Resolutions they will try hard to keep this time, like going to gym less and smoking more.

They played tracks off their first full length album Fleet Foxes like favourites White Winter Hymnal and He Doesn't Know Why as well as many off their latest offering Helplessness Blues like the fantastic Battery Kinzie or my highlight Montezuma which gave me goosebumps and sounded like a blazing folk-hymn which swelled in crescendos as the harmonious voices filled every nook and cranny of that glorious old theater. I'm not an overly religious person but I'm pretty sure that's what Heaven sounds like!

This isn't the official video but it's more exciting than looking at the album cover for 3 minutes.


I found it strange, I couldn't see anyone nodding to the music, but people were obviously enjoying with with thunderous applause's between songs. I used to think Mumford and Sons reminded me a little of Fleet Foxes but after seeing them again I've decided that whilst sometimes, yes they do sound similar, I find Mumford and Sons like to focus a little to much on the morbid and heart break whilst Fleet Foxes are more often than not uplifting and ponderous about whats greater than oneself in the universe. They always leave me feeling happy and optimistic which I love.

We had such great seats too, second row back on the Mezzanine level and I had 2 tiny people in front! I rarely get to see all band member at once at gigs. As I mentioned earlier, we thought there would be a support band but luckily got in early anyway. Not so lucky were the 4 people in the row in front of us who turned up with confused faces an hour into the 2 hour show missing loads of great tracks. Note to self for next time, the Opera House, hates a support act.

All in all it was a simply magical show, well worth the hefty ticket price and again I'm left feeling inspired by these guys and wanting to know when they'll be back.

I love this clip - He Doesn't Know Why.

No comments:

Post a Comment