Saturday, July 17, 2010

Boy & Bear - With Emperor Antarctica


The whole blog idea started a while ago, after I'd seen Boy and Bear supporting Lisa Mitchell at Penrith RSL and then head lining their own show at The Annandale soon after. I had the urge the blab about how good they were but I had no one who particularly wanted to hear me gush! This is where you come in!

I think there's big things in store for this Sydney 5 piece. The release of their EP has shown some serious talent. The fact that all 5 members are singer/songwriters is evident in all of their songs as they perform hauntingly beautiful, complicated harmonies involving all band members. The vocal gymnastic with their fancy oooohs and arrrrhs are amazing on their EP and spot on in their live shows. Their EP With Emperor Antarctica contains 5 songs and although each track has a different sound, each song manages to flow seamlessly into the next. The highlight is definitely track 2, Rabbit Song. It makes me want to jump in my car and go on a summer road trip. The bridge towards the end of it is what makes the song so amazing. Love it.

If Fleet Foxes and Mumford and Sons had a love child, that would be Boy and Bear, and whilst these sorts of comparisons are inevitable, Boy and Bear also have an indescribable something new and stand alone in their own right. They also have great lyrics, uplifting harmonies and their live sets show a musical maturity beyond their years. I had hoped to attach an .mp3 to this post but whilst I'm still trying to figure this thing out, check out Rabbit Song here:

6 comments:

  1. I will definitely be checking these guys out again at the Coaster Festival! They certainly got my toes tapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them live at the Annandale, and I'd have to agree that they showed some awesome potential, very talented! I cant wait to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! Just thought I'd point out that Boy & Bear are a five piece band now, not a four one :)

    I saw them at Penrith as well! I'm not a Lisa Mitchell fan, but my friend and I are massive Boy & Bear fans and go to their gigs as much as possible. They are well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info Renee :)
    I actually got a thanks from the band for the blog review, via their facebook page.
    I'm a little embarrassed now that I got the size of their band wrong! haha
    Ooops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog now says 5! :)
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries.

    That's awesome that the guys thanked you for the review! I'm sure they wouldn't have minded- besides there was just the four of them for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete